Sometimes you just have to mix up your mornings and kick them off with something fun and delicious. I’m talking about toast. The classic, all-American breakfast staple, a side-kick to any morning meal in any home. However, the kind of toast I’m talking about isn’t the kind layered with liquid butter or mysterious jelly. I’m talking about the kind of toast in the photos below. Two of my favorite concoctions are Spicy Avocado Toast and Almond Butter Toast with Fruit, Cinnamon and Honey. The Almond Butter toast is great for those mornings when you wake up with a sweet tooth and want to avoid the doughnut binge and the Spicy Avocado is a perfect companion to your palette when it’s craving savory.
Ezekiel Sprouted Grain Bread can always be found in my freezer. It’s flourless, free of refined sugar and chock full of whole grains and legumes in it’s unique blend of wheat, barley, millet, lentils, soybeans and spelt. It’s a perfect bread to toast. SIDE NOTE: I love their tortillas as well and buy them often.
The almond butter is rich and full of fiber and protein which satisfies hunger for several hours. The avocado contains a plethora of vitamins, minerals and monounsaturated fats and along with it’s fiber content, it becomes a delicious, creamy, low-calorie health food gift from the universe.
Give both kinds of toast a whirl the next time you’re trying shake it up in the a.m. I typically eat one slice and that is filling until lunch time. They’re both SO good and a breeze to make. Change it up too if you’d like. Play around with the fruit, nut butter or spices and see what you like best. Enjoy!
- Almond Butter Toast with Fruit, Honey and Cinnamon
- 1-2 slices of bread
- almond butter
- sliced fruit such as strawberries or banana
- ground cinnamon
- Spicy Avocado Toast
- 1-2 slices of bread
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1-2 TBSP fresh lemon juice
- red pepper flakes (as much heat as you can handle)
- Almond Butter Toast with Fruit, Honey and Cinnamon -Layer the toast with the almond butter first, then sprinkle cinnamon & drizzle honey, and lastly place fruit on top.
- Spicy Avocado Toast- Scoop flesh of ripe avocado into a bowl and mash with lemon juice, S&P and red pepper flakes. Stir and then scoop onto bread. Spread evenly and sprinkle pinch of S&P on top.