The Fourth of July holiday is always a super fun filled day/weekend of family, friends, food, drinks and fireworks. You can still enjoy all of the above without sacrificing the healthy habits you have been working so hard to maintain. Enjoying a holiday and making healthy choices CAN be accomplished! See some of my tips below.
- Indulge, but be conscientious. If you want slathered ribs along with Granny’s mac & cheese at a BBQ later in the day, don’t panic. Enjoy the meat & mac, but pay attention to the portion you are eating and try not to head back for seconds. Also be sure to load up on a healthy breakfast and lunch full of nutrition & fiber so that you stay full longer until the main event. Try eating meals such as:
BREAKFAST – avocado toast with a fried egg, steel cut oatmeal or quinoa with a touch of maple syrup & fruit, veggie loaded frittata, or greek yogurt with honey & mixed nuts
LUNCH – tortilla pizza stacked with vegetables, salad with shredded chicken & black beans, a whole grain wrap with chicken and veggies, or sweet potato chili
- Easy on the finger foods. All those trips to the garage buffet can add up quick. If you do want to snack a little, grab a small plate and fill it up with the veggie and fruit tray options, low fat cheeses or the chips & salsa. Limit yourself to one plate so that you have enough calories to spare for dinner.
- Swap out those classic white hamburger and hot dog buns with whole grain ones. White bread is refined, low in fiber and nutrition and to me just doesn’t taste good. Opt for a whole grain bun full of fiber and vitamins that will keep you satisfied longer. Be sure to read the ingredients on the label. Check out these brands: Ezekiel, Rudi’s and Canyon Bakehouse.
- Hydrate! If you drink alcohol, be sure to alternate an 8 oz. glass of water in between cocktails. It’s so easy to get dehydrated when drinking and especially if you’re going to be out in the sun.
- Speaking of sun, don’t forget to slather on that SPF! The last thing you need is to wake up the next day burnt and swollen. Don’t forget to continue applying sunscreen every couple of hours. Take breaks in the shade too if you can. The sun is the strongest in the summer so truly we only need about 15-20 minutes of exposure to absorb the Vitamin D we require. Any amount of time after that and you need to lather up!
- Instead of standing around in the pool, get a game of pool volleyball or basketball going. Grab a football and toss it back and forth with someone. Swim some laps or play with the kiddos. Just move.
The fourth of July is a time to celebrate and be with the ones you care about most. Now go and make some healthy memories this weekend 🙂
If you are looking for some delicious crowd-pleasing recipes for the party you are hosting or attending, check out these links below.